Latest posts by Josh Gross (see all)
- NBA DraftKings & FanDuel Picks Monday January 22nd - January 22, 2018
- NBA DraftKings & FanDuel Picks Saturday January 20th - January 20, 2018
- NBA DraftKings & FanDuel Picks Friday January 19th - January 19, 2018
Generally, the goal is to have a lineup of all six golfers making the cut. Some weeks it will vary, but a majority of the time, six is the goal. Every week the spreadsheet will be updated with the field and stats necessary to look into when determining your lineups.
Welcome everyone! After over a month of darkness, and some Tiger Woods thrills, we’ve reached 2018, and the nonstop coverage of PGA begins through mid November! We begin the new year with a small tournament out in Hawaii, showcasing all the winners from 2017 in what is called the Sentry Tournament of Champions. It’s just a 31 man field, but sports some of the best in the world, as you can tell by the top heavy pricing on most. With no cut, you can get a little cute when it comes to taking risk on values, as we search for the guys with the absolute best ceilings. Do NOT play cash this week, as the shortened field leaves little room for error. Enjoy the fact that golf is back, play a few GPP’s, and save the cash volume for next week’s Sony Open.
With that being said, lets talk about some picks.
Previous 4 Winners:
2017: Justin Thomas (-22)
2016: Jordan Spieth (-30)
2015: Patrick Reed (-21)
2014: Zach Johnson (-19)
2013: Dustin Johnson (-16)
KEY STATS FOR THIS WEEK:
- SG Tee-Green
- SG Putting
- Birdie or Better
- Par 5 Scoring
- Drive Distance
– DFS PGA Plays of the Week –
Jordan Spieth ($10,900)
- I mentioned it’s ok to get cute when it comes to values. Do NOT get cute with your top tier selections. Jordan Spieth is the clear cut favorite this week. The 24 year old enjoyed a bounce back, yes a bounce back 2017 campaign, sporting 13 Top 10 finishes in just 24 events played, including three wins, three runner-ups, while missing just three cuts. Spieth ended the year on a run of six Top 10 finishes, and eight of his last 10 events, while adding two wins. He looked as good as ever in the latter half of 2017, and now, he returns to Kapalua, a resort in which he’s had quite some success in his limited time on Tour. In three trips, he’s finished 2nd, 1st, and 3rd, remaining in contention until the very end. Of course, his win came with the tournament record -30. Spieth is tied for first in our Cheat Sheet with Jon Rahm, sporting Top 5 ranks in T-G, Birdie or Better, and GIR. While his Distance was down in 2017, it was the expense of making a better effort of hitting fairways, which he hit at a higher rate in 2017 from 2016 by 2%. Small number, but it goes a long way. Spieth still maintained the 39th best distance off the tee, and with his iron play, distance really isn’t an issue. Wind is supposedly going to be up this week, which shouldn’t be much of an issue for Spieth, as he’s been among the elite players in wind over the last few seasons, ranking third overall in SG in winds of over 15 MPH, as well as the best overall in this field. As I alluded to, it’s best to not get cute with the upper tiered players this week, and Spieth has the highest ceiling of anyone. For those who like a nice little narrative, this is the first event Spieth will play since he popped the question to his girlfriend. As if they needed another reason to celebrate, a win in Hawaii would be a nice addition.
Also, see the odds for a TOP 10 finish in the SENTRY TOURNAMENT. Utilizing our picks and PGA CHEAT SHEET can provide huge value in the betting market!